Saturday, June 01, 2013

Snails and Carpaccio in Durban

After 24 hour notice, I hopped on a plane to Durban via Dubai to address a grave emergency.  The client requested my specific presence and of course I am exactly the man for such a job. They had run out of chocolates causing all sorts of mayhem.


Actually this dire situation was affecting the economy of the nation. I rolled off the plane at night after a two day flight, worked from 5am to midnight and again the next day until 2a.m. We wrought enough relief that today our team had a leisurely day out.  


I had the luxury of lunching on snails three ways and carpaccio instead of catered lunch.  Whenever I enjoy snails, I always am reminded of the infamous scene from Spartacus between Laurence Olivier to his strapping slave Antoninus played by Tony Curtis in a warm bathing pool.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat snails?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?

Like Marcus and most Koreans, my taste includes both snails and oysters. But of course the Hollywood script writers are quite sly and the question is not about edible molluscs at all.

I'm slated here ten more days as I didn't know how long the fires would burn.  I briefly fantasized about a quick jaunt to Namibia but I don't know what the days will bring at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment