Monday, January 13, 2014

Welcoming the New Year in Baja

I've been busily chasing sea critters up and down the Sea of Cortez since the new year. 2014 will be the year of the horse- a time for wild wanderings and adventure. I thought I would get the earliest possible start in Baja California- a land filled with remote corners accessible only by boat.  There is no tea culture there as cold beer appears to be the drink of choice and I routinely swilled bagged tea in the mornings to get the job done.
I'm too blasted from the flight to write but please feel free to click on the image above to see my initial photos from the trip. The above are mobula rays who migrate through Cabo Pulmo during the winter.  I had been quite mentally depleted on arrival but drifting above these lovely manta rays cured me. 

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Ira! We must really get together for tea soon.

      Delete
  2. Dear Hster,

    What a fabulous school of rays! A joy to behold. Thank you.

    -Israel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Israel,

      Those lovely rays were worth all the insipid teas I had to endure and more. My mother upon seeing the photo asked me in true Korean fashion if I had eaten one with hot pepper paste. Too beautiful too gobble up...

      H

      Delete
  3. Yeah, across the Caribbean, I too have received puzzled or mildly condescending looks when asking for tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought my own teas for the Dutch Antilles so I wouldn't suffer stale island tea. But the Caribbean covers a massive area and I see at least Dominican Republic has a strong bush tea culture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_tea_culture

      Delete