Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Wrong Teapot

I have a pathological history of choosing inappropriate teapots. But such faulty proclivities are infinitely preferable to choosing inappropriate men. My biggest regret ia a century old Wedgwood basalt jasperware teapot-  I do not know what impulse seized me to buy such a dark and dreadful thing. It's too large to make decent tea. Like you, I make very poor decisions late night on ebay when I've repeatedly lost on treasures my heart really desired. Thank god I married my first choice of men then!

With my last tea order I included multiples of a tiny porcelain rong tian shaped teapot. After heartbreaks over chipping and cracking many a spout, I decided to treat teapots as consumables. These teapots were cute, cheap and tiny and for $5.4, they are not so bad. I tried one for work today and it's a fiddly affair- the hole on the lid is too tiny so it overflows when pouring. I have to open the lid to pour and the stingy spout takes forever to drain.



I've been trying fiendishly hard to make my new work setup more conducive to serious tea drinking. I can't seem to get used to the overly modern design of the space at all. Our new digs has twenty foot ceilings which make a hobbit like myself inherently uncomfortable so I try to hide behind a lot of foliage.  Although not visible in the photo, there is a little Frodo climbing the Fatsia stalk.

6 comments:

  1. From tiny broken teapots to shelter under the foliage, I found your post heartwarming and adorable! :) I love Frodo, btw. I think your desk looks amazing with those plants, like your own little oasis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Kamyria. What does this blog live for except to provide a cosy camp fire in the vast wilderness of the Internet. I'll try to get a Frodo shot today.

      H

      Delete
  2. I have the same (or very similar) teapot from YS and as cute as it is, it does not pour too well either. I usually keep the lid semi-open using my thumb, pouring from it as usual. Or I just put it into pouring position and it pours through both spout and lid...

    Glad you enjoyed the Lapsangs too. They are quite adorable and cheap.
    Best,
    Jakub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jakub, I have much to thank you for! I vaguely remembered you using these porcelain cuties outdoors and thought I might do the same. I also have the budget glass teapots from YS and they perform flawlessly. Too bad glass is not ideal for all types of tea. H

      Delete
  3. Would it be too much to ask for a picture of that Wedgwood teapot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh Hector, I'm too ashamed to reveal my poor taste. But I suppose such public humiliation will cure me of buying pots I'd be ashamed to show strangers.

      Delete